Some days, especially when we’re all crammed in at home working, playing, and not going anywhere, cleaning the house can seem harder than ever. Stuff. is. everywhere. We’ve got a few quick home organization tips to help you tidy up without feeling overwhelmed.
- Set a timer. We learned this from The Frugal Girl. You’ll be surprised how much you can accomplish in 5 or 10 minutes. Use that time to: load the dishwasher or unload the dishwasher. Wipe down the counters in the kitchen. Put away items like coffee and cereal that have been left out since breakfast. Fold a basket of laundry and deposit the clothes in each person’s room.
- Pick a room. Maybe you just need to focus on one room at a time. For example, work on the living room. Fold blankets and put them away. Pick up toys and put them in a basket for your kids to take to their rooms. Put away magazines. When all that is done, take odds and ends that belong in other places and put them where they go.
- Quick home organize tips in the bathroom: Keep either a container of cleaning wipes or a roll of paper towels and cleaner in each bathroom. Take 5 minutes to wipe down the counter, sweep or swiffer the floor, and clean the toilet. Voila! The bathroom smells better and looks better. Another way to keep things tidy in there? Baskets. Get a basket for each person or designate a drawer or two for each person and put all their stuff in it. The basket itself may not be organized, but the counter sure looks better!
4. If you can afford it, keep a vacuum cleaner on each level of the house that needs it. It’s so much easier and faster than carrying one up and down the stairs. Take 5 minutes and vacuum 2 rooms. You’ll feel so much better seeing those nice vacuum marks!
5. Finally, if your kids are fine with their rooms being messy, the quickest way to clean them is to close the door!